Skip to main content

Frank and Elaine's wedding

Batu Pahat
We were at a Chinese wedding on Sunday in a town called Batu Pahat in the Johor Province in western Malaysia. The town is little known by tourists, hence a group of four caucasians strolling down the road in our wedding smartest elicited several honks of car horns.

Cake cutting
As the bride and groom entered (Elaine looked gorgeous in traditional Chinese wedding attire) they first stood for photos whilst pretending to cut a fake cake - apparently the Chinese aren't too keen on cake, but it's still a tradition. The couple then poured a blue beverage into a tower of champagne glasses, very impressive.



The feast
For the wedding meal itself we were surprised to find ourselves guests of honour, placed on the top table either side of the bride and groom. We were in for a real treat. It was truly a wedding feast, there were about seven courses, all of which were Chinese except for the chocolate ice cream for dessert. Some of the food I recognised, the rest I did not. I did, however try everything, even the oddest-looking things - they just tasted like chicken!

Somehow we ended up on stage for the toasts (with bright blue berry flavoured liquid); there was much raucous toasting - all in Chinese of course - then the karaoke continued.

It was a really sumptuous meal, and interestingly the tradition is that once you've finished eating you leave. So we had barely been served our ice cream when the mass exodus started, no mean feat for 120 people. It was amazing. The place was empty 20 minutes after the first ice cream had been served.

Great Aunt Lam
Paul sat next to Elaine's great aunt Lam. Mrs Lam is a very spritely lady in her eighties with a penchant for VSOP brandy in her Chinese tea (after which she became even more spritely). This, of course, offered me a fantastic opportunity to practice my Chinese. I introduced myself and Paul and asked her name. I asked where she was from and told her where we were from (all in Chinese so far!), unfortunately the extent of my Chinese did not stretch to the comprehension of her reply. Conversation dried up, I had decided that a conversation along the lines of "What's that?" "It's a chair" 'Is it a table?" "No, it's a water glass" would run it's course pretty quickly, so we just resorted to grinning at Mrs Lam. This worked well, she always grinned back and raised her glass.

The Tea ceremony
After all the guests had left, Elaine and Frank invited us back to the extended family's home where we were priviledged to observe the tea ceremony. Elaine and Frank served their close relatives tea in age order, from an ornate pot. As the relatives drank the tea, they offered some words of advice for the happy couple's future together, the relatives then passed small red envelopes filled with gifts of money. It was really wonderful to be inside a family home and see this ceremony taking place, we felt very honoured.

It really is great to have these kinds of opportunities while we are over here. In three weeks time we are off to Bangkok for a traditional Thai wedding, we can't wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buses, bats, bites and other bits

I know I've been writing a lot about Singapore recently, but I guess that's what happens when you've lived in a new culture for a while. I've become very aware of what's around me. I get the bus to and from work every day. It costs around 15p and is fully air-conditione d. Most of the time I get a seat, it's brilliant. Today was a special day - I boarded a bus that was driven by the world's most friendly bus driver. He greeted each passenger and said good bye to everyone who got off. Sadly I was the only person to notice of the 40-50 passengers that recieved this star treatment during my journey. So I gave him a big grin and a wave as I got off the bus. I love how something like that can add an extra smile to your day. I'm currently learning Mandarin (week 2 of a 10 week course). Last week I was convinced that the whole language is a conspiracy to confuse westerners. Today, however, I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge of learning such a dramatically d

Friends

I know, I know, it's been a while since I wrote, but life has got very busy recently. We currently have our friend Al French staying with us, he's moving to Hong Kong for a year and he's on a work trip here right now. It's great to see him again, and as always with good friends, it's as if we just saw him last week (in reality the last time we saw him was at our wedding last year). Anyway, as I said, we have been busy. What with Mandarin, Alpha, work and a trip to Malacca I don't seem to have had a free moment in the last three weeks. Malacca was great, it was good to leave Singapore for the weekend. The only downer was returning home to find that our debit card had been skimmed and we'd had money stolen...oh well, it looks like we'll get it back. Malacca had awesome food and it was a fun city to spend a couple of days in. This week I had an interesting experience, I was invited by my friend ZeNee to go to the final results show of Singapore Idol (the

Pregnancy and stuff

How is it that my stomach, once almost a taboo subject, has become public property overnight? Often people's first reaction when they find out I'm pregnant is to stroke or pat my (already expanding) tummy! I guess I'll get used to that over the next few months. Here are the scans we have so far. Photos- Top: Scan at 6 weeks Middle: Scan at 8 weeks Bottom: Scan at 12 weeks Weather It's started to warm up and dry up here again after the monsoon. It's lovely to be able to eat breakfast on the balcony in the sun again. The hoards of ants are back, any morsel left untended is soon found and turns black with the tiny creatures. Wedding We went to a wonderful wedding at the Conrad Centennial hotel on Thursday evening. Two of our freinds from church got hitched after 13 years of on-off dating. It was a touching ceremony (during which, to our surprise, the champagne flowed freely). The meal was great - traditional Chinese wedding fayre - jellyfish, prawns, shark's fin so