Skip to main content

Back again



Well, it seems that it's been a month since I last wrote anything. I guess I've been busy. This month I've gone to working part time after a bit of a battle with the school I work with. It works much better for me to have some of my own time, I'm not quite fully a lady of leisure - but almost.




KL and the Cameron highlands
We've just come back from a weekend in Kuala Lumpur and the Cameron Highlands with our friends Gary and Paul from the UK. A good weekend was had by all. The Cameron highlands is a cool mountainous area three and a half hours north of Kuala Lumpur. It still has lots of buildings from the colonial era, including the wonderfully named 'Ye olde smokehouse' restaurant, which is about as authentic a British pub/restaurant as you will find anywhere in the world!

We busied ourselves touring tea plantations, supping local tea, eating local strawberries and eating roast beef. The weather was cool and everything was distinctly British. Very quaint.

It was great seeing Gaz and Paul again, and it's lovely having the space to have friends to stay here now. They're off to watch the glorious England play in the Ashes in Oz, what a great trip!






Photos - Top: Paul at a tea plantation Middle: Tea grwoing area Botton: Gaz and Paul looking at Petronas towers

My ants nest
Now, you might remember me waxing lyrical about the local weaver ants nest. A couple of weeks ago I was most upset when I noticed that the hedge had been trimmed and the ants nest destroyed. It added to an already bad day! Although I guess it was worse for the few lonely ants huddled under a stray leaf in the pouring rain...


Christmas festivities
Christmas is well under way in Singapore, the decorations have been up for well over a month, the fake snow (foam) is blowing every evening at the local mall, Christmas carols are blaring out of every shop, and the local (Christian-owned) department store has ironically misquoted scripture in 3 foot high letters on the front of their store. Welcome to Christmas in Singapore. I'll try and take some photos soon.


Photo - Top:Chris, Priya, Suwen and Satoko at our Christmas party Below: Our Christmas tree - tiny!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Haze

Well, I kno w I only posted this morning, but I've just found out more about the smoke. It's from southern Sumatra in Indonesia and it affects not only Singapore, but also Malaysia. The air pollution level is measured every three hours. Any measurement up to 100 is considered safe. Today's measurements have fluctuated between 100 and 150 - not good. Worst of all, it appears that a lot of the particles are small enough to get through the air con, yikes. Oh well, sounds like it's not too dangerous - I'll just have to get used to having itchy eyes. We bought a photo printer today, finally we'll get around to printing some of our wedding photos. Not bad, only a year and a half late! We witnessed what is quite a common event here in Singapore this afternoon. However, I realise that it's not really that usual anywhere else. We were at Funan - The IT Mall and there was a shop-opening event. This consisted, as all do in Singapore, of a drinks party, several talls st...

Barra brith and being blessed

Barra Brith They say you start 'nesting' when you are pregnant, well, it's true - I've been into baking these last couple of weeks. Today I decided to make Barra Brith (Welsh tea loaf) for my colleagues, since it is my birthday. What a disaster! First it overflowed, surgically welding itself to the intereior of our oven, then it burnt on top whilst remaining raw on the inside, then it rufused to be extracted from the loaf tin. I wouldn't be surprised about any of this with my track-record in baking, but I made exactly the same thing using exactly the same recipe last week and it was 100% successful. It still tasted great though - once I managed to extract it from its tin. I'm not, however, looking forward to dealing with the oven! That can wait until the weekend. Hard times I've had a number of emails from friends recently telling me of the death of close friends and accidents that people have had; it has made me realise just how fortunate and blessed we are...

Information overload

There is so much to learn about looking after a new baby. Everywhere you look seems to offer slightly different advice. I guess because I have some time on my hands at the moment I am reading quite a lot and talking to a lot of friends who have young children. It's amazing what there is to learn...and I'm sure most of it can only really be learnt 'on the job' as it were! That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying the reading and research into the various different things we need to know/buy/do/not do. I'm also loving having the time available to do them. Even more I love the fact that I can feel the baby kicking on and off throughout every day. Life really is a miracle.